The Allan Handelman Show
For July 27, 2014
The Allan Handelman Show deals with all issues relevant to the Rock Culture, not just music. Rock Stars, newsmakers, pop culture icons and always the most amazing people in the world. Hear all sides of the story and listen to a variety of media. Then, make up your own mind. It's the Talk Show for people who don't even listen to talk shows.
Follow me on Twitter and visit my YouTube channel!
Visit my All Rock 'N' Roll Facebook show page and my Facebook page for Longtime Listeners & Friends
Attention online listeners:
- **PLEASE NOTE: Allan's WSJS weekday show (Mon-Fri 3-6 PM) and the weekend syndicated show (Rock Talk) are two separate and very different shows. Both shows can now be heard on WSJS.COM. For now, the Sunday show also airs on WSJS 3-6 PM (ET).
- Other radio Stations air the weekend show (ROCK TALK) at different times throughout the weekend. To make things easier for our WEEKEND STREAMING LISTENERS, we now stream continuously from 6pm Sunday to 10am Monday (ET) on USTREAM and host recent archives of the show there.
- Another great way to hear the show is with the free TuneIn App for your tablet or Smartphone. Just go to your favorite App Store and download. For a couple of dollars you can get the Pro version that allows you to record the show. Very cool.
- You can also find older podcasts of theAllan Handelman Show from over seven years of daily afternoon shows (4p-7p) on FM Talk WZTK. Plus this is where to hear the "Sunday Night" shows from most of the last 7 years up till March 2012 (Rock Talk with Allan Handelman)
- We hope this makes things a little more convenient than just offering two different airing times.
Among the guests and topics on this week's show:
- RANDY BACHMAN, a legendary figure in the rock & roll world through his talents as a guitarist, songwriter, performer and producer. Known best for his work in the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, he has earned more than 120 gold and platinum album/singles awards around the world for performing and producing. Randy has written rock and pop classics - "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," "These Eyes," "American Woman," "Taking Care of Business," "No Sugar Tonight." Now, Bachman has assembled his greatest stories in RANDY BACHMAN'S VINYL TAP STORIES.
- Laurie Puhn is a Communication Expert, legal mediator and bestselling author of numerous books including "Instant Persuasion: How to Change Words to Change Your Life", nominated for Best Motivational Book of 2005. Her latest, Fight Less, Love More: 5-Minute Conversations to Change Your Relationship. Studies show: the average couple fights 2X per week; conflict suppresses a person's immune system and health; for married couples, 2/3 of their arguments are left unresolved.
- UFO Expert Frank Feschino is the foremost expert on the Flatwoods Monster of West Virginia, which turned out to be one of the most intriguing UFO encounters in history. It was just part of a two week period in 1952 where the entire East Coast experienced major UFO activity. So much so, The USAF ordered pilots to "shoot to kill." His updated and revised book, The Braxton County Monster - The Cover-Up of the Flatwoods Monster Revealed.
- Hunter and Adventure Seeker Jackson Landers who will eat just about anything is out with a new book called, Eating Aliens: One Man's Adventures Hunting Invasive Animal Species. Asian carp are invading North American rivers and lakes, devouring the aquatic plants that native fish need to thrive. Carp are just one of the many destructive alien animals that have conservationists scrambling to find controls. Hunter and adventure-seeker Jackson Landers proposes a creative solution: Eat them!
RANDY BACHMAN has become a legendary figure in the rock & roll world through his talents as a guitarist, songwriter, performer and producer. Known best for his work in the Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive, he has earned more than 120 gold and platinum album/singles awards around the world for performing and producing. Now, Bachman has assembled his greatest stories in RANDY BACHMAN'S VINYL TAP STORIES, a rollicking behind-the scenes book of music which includes suggested playlists, thematic song lists and personal photographs. PUBLISHERS WEEKLY calls it "wry, funny, and well-written" and Bachman's genuine passion for music is abundant on each page, whether he is reminiscing about being a music-obsessed young boy, sharing music and stories with millions of listeners on his top-rated Sirius/XM radio show, or recalling his euphoric encounters with some of rock & roll's greatest figures such as Van Morrison, The Beach Boys, Jerry Lee Lewis and Van Halen. Highlights include:
- Memories of his longtime friendship with Neil Young that started with Randy giving backstage guitar tips to a then teenaged Neil.
- Learning how to make a "guitar face" from B.B. King himself ("You need to wince like you're feeling that note in your soul".)
- Touring the world with Ringo Starr's all-star band.
- Creating rock & roll's greatest anthems (you'll learn that the piano piece in "Taking Care of Business" was played by a pizza delivery guy that happened to be in the studio when they were recording).
- Tricking Little Richard into playing in a different key when recording a piano piece for BTO.
- Recording his voice for an appearance on The Simpsons.
- A role on the big screen in The Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zack Galifianakis.
- BTO's 40th Anniversary tour with 12 stops in the U.S. in June, July & September
- A box set and DVD to commemorate BTO's 40th Anniversary
RANDY BACHMAN'S VINYL TAP STORIES will take readers on an incredible musical journey, paired with personal photos and dozens of Bachman's own suggested playlists. Told with genuine humility and charisma, Bachman fans and music lovers alike are sure to take as much pleasure in reading these incredible stories as Bachman clearly has in sharing them.
Frank Feschino. UFO Expert.
Around dusk on September 12, 1952, the small country town of Flatwoods, West Virginia slipped irretrievably into a real-world Twilight Zone. By report: A flaming UFO flew directly overhead at treetop level, made a hard 90 degree left turn, and then settled behind the trees on a hilltop just southeast of the location of a small group of witnesses standing, justifiably, slack-jawed! Very shortly thereafter, several local residents went in search of the large downed "object," indeed landing nearby on the now famous Bailey Fisher Farm.
During their intrepid quest to find the downed object, the group was abruptly terrified when they very unexpectedly encountered what might be the 12-foot-tall occupant of said damaged craft, after it had perhaps sought refuge along the bordering woods of the bare hilltop landing zone, but coming out at them from behind a huge white oak, lit up like a Christmas tree!
This "strange occupant," later called the "Braxton County Monster" or "Flatwoods Monster," was very likely a huge and hovering metallic-like structure acting as what might be called a vehicular probe or conveyance. The witnesses, often and from the beginning, compared it to a mechanical spacesuit... with something seemingly sentient inside; a "being," even... a "being" clad in a protective suit of armor.
Within days, the story of the "Braxton County Monster" became as far-reaching as named newspapers and radio stations around the United States - mainstream media vociferously telling the story of this "gigantic unknown alien visitor" - will make it far-reaching! Not restricted to the United States, it was not to be the end of the story!
One week later the two main adult witnesses - plus the Braxton County newspaper reporter involved - appeared on the very popular national TV Magazine show called, "We the People." Here, the television sketch artist hurriedly talked to the witnesses and so very incorrectly illustrated this giant mechanical occupant - rendering it instead to appear as a pumpkin headed, cloth hooded, and claw-waving "monster" - a monster wearing a sweet-sixteen skirt and hovering a foot or so off the ground!
To add insult to injury, the Intelligence officials at Project Blue Book stated the witnesses "probably saw an owl perched on a tree limb" and that the "underbrush below" may have "given the impression of a giant figure." "In their excitement, they imagined the rest," it was said! Moreover, the alien occupant's damaged craft, which had flown additionally West over Washington, DC, in flames, landed in Flatwoods! It was officially claimed to be "the well-known Washington area meteor." Folks, that "meteor" was in the air over 21 hours, flew at slow speeds and changed direction many times! I'll let the reader decide what kind of meteor it was!
Yes, a cover-up was quickly put in place as Americans panicked over the already record amount of UFO sightings occurring over the United States that whole year! Furthermore, the Flatwoods incident occurred only six-weeks after the USAF had ominously revealed, to wit: that "the jet pilots are, and have been, under orders to investigate unidentified objects, and to "shoot them down," reader, "if they can't talk them down"! Cue the crisis music!
Read more www.FlatwoodsMonster.com
Laurie Puhn is a Communication Expert, legal mediator and bestselling author of numerous books including "Instant Persuasion: How to Change Words to Change Your Life", nominated for Best Motivational Book of 2005. Her latest, Fight Less, Love More: 5-Minute Conversations to Change Your Relationship.
Studies show: the average couple fights 2X per week; conflict suppresses a person's immune system and health; for married couples, 2/3 of their arguments are left unresolved.
She's consulted for the ABC News 20/20 special on rudeness and has appeared on over 200 radio and TV shows, including CNN's Tips from the Top, WNBC's Weekend Today in NY, ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. Laurie is the Communication Expert for Match.com's Happen Magazine and her advice is frequently featured in magazines and newspapers including Redbook, Maxim, Good Housekeeping, The Young Lawyer, Reader's Digest, Woman's Day, The New York Times, Chicago Tribune and Newsday.
Visit www.fightlesslovemore.com to view TV clips of Laurie on CNN, Fox News, Imus in the Morning, GMA and other media outlets.
5 Fight Less, Love More Tactics: Whatever the problem, these strategies melt away conflict.
- Eliminate Dumb Factual Arguments: "You're wrong. You don't know what you're talking about. The bailout was first signed under Obama," argues your mate.
Smart Tactic: When tempers flare ask yourself, "Are we arguing about a fact or an opinion?" If you conclude it's a fact, immediately raise the white flag and say, "This is silly. We're arguing about a fact. Let's stop right now to fact-check on the internet."
- Avoid Post-Argument Arguments: After a heated verbal exchange, you finally hear the priceless word "okay" which offers you a mutually acceptable agreement on an issue.
Smart Tactic: Lock your lips. Quit while you're ahead. Recognize that you have found common ground and won the argument even if you haven't gotten all that you want. Never make the provokingly dumb statement "I have just one more thing to say…" or you will re-start the argument.
- Reject the "Whatever" Word. If someone asks you what you think about a hot-topic political, economic or social issue or even where you want to go for dinner, you might want to take the passive route by responding with the "W" word.
Smart Tactic: Whatever you do, don't say whatever. It blows people off and incites retaliation. Instead, think and give a specific answer. Watch this short entertaining video for a play-by-play enactment of the 'whatever' argument.
- Enrage: Engage, Don't Your annoying motor mouth mate, colleague, or friend desperately wants to persuade you that he/she is right about an issue. He/she won't stop talking until you cave.
Smart Tactic: Change your game plan. Don't fight to be right. Instead, view the situation as a time to listen. Short-circuit the conflict by repeating neutral comments like, "that's interesting," and "that's one way to see it." This will tire your opponent. Then say, "I value your perspective, now I'll share mine. I agree that we don't agree. Will you?"
- Orchestrate a Perfect Apology: You made an insensitive verbal gaffe and you want to apologize.
Smart Tactic: Don't say "I'm sorry." It is a bad apology. Take full responsibility and use this 3-step apology to win the mercy you want: Step 1) Embellish the wrong as in "I made a big mistake when I criticized you in public" Step 2) Add the "because" clause, as in, "I'm sorry because…. I embarrassed you." Step 3) Offer a plan of prevention, as in, "In the future, I will……. keep my mouth shut unless you say I can tell people about your job loss."
Asian carp are invading North American rivers and lakes, devouring the aquatic plants that native fish need to thrive. Carp are just one of the many destructive alien animals that have conservationists scrambling to find controls. Hunter and adventure-seeker Jackson Landers proposes a creative solution: Eat them!
More and more non-native species are invading our local environments, and there is a real need to manage the populations of these invasive animals. In EATING ALIENS, Jackson Landers takes readers on a wild ride as he hunts and eats such creatures as Asian carp, boar, nutria, European green crabs, Chinese mystery snails, and more. With his personal narrative driving the story, the hunt becomes more than one man's desire to catch and kill prey and evolves into a very real solution to restoring the eco-balance across the western hemisphere.
Jackson will discuss:
- Changing trends in popular foods, and what makes a food widely accepted
- Cooking experiments, recipes, and taste tests of different non-native species
- Landers's hunting and catching adventures
- Local people combating the destructive impact of non-native animals
- Environmentally sensitive ways to trap, catch, and consume invasive species
- Hunting and fishing techniques best fitting for a variety of featured non-native species
In EATING ALIENS, Landers shares his entertaining, eco-conscious tales of tracking down invasive aliens from Florida to Connecticut and the Caribbean to the Texas Hill Country. At once a romping narrative and a call to action, these gripping stories examine the damage being done by these animals, the challenges of hunting them, and the opportunities to create appetizing meals from their bounty. Feeding people while helping protect and conserve the natural environment, all while enjoying the excitement of the hunt: This is Jackson Landers's mission.